Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas is nearly here!

Well, I didn't get too far in my countdown because number one son absconded with the camera and then I couldn't find 5 Really Cool Things (at least all at the same time) ... I do love horses, kittens, country roads, farm houses and rainy days, but just try getting those really cool things into one photo shot!

so now it's the 15th and I'm not sure what day of Christmas that makes this... and I'm really not sure when the 12th day of Christmas starts anyway. All I do know is there's one more week to go!

I do have my tree decorated FINALLY! And although the living room has some seasonal decor decking the walls and halls ... the three presents under the tree is/are the sweetest "thing" of all. Only THREE! That's because our tradition has been to wait until Christmas for the magic to arrive. The few little bits before the big day are just harbingers of things to come. Of course, none of these three things are for me because Yours Truly is the decorator and wrapper in this little house. And despite the best intentions... we're all last minute shoppers, too!

we've never been an over the top sort of family this time of year, although having one child, that child tends to be somnewhat spoiled, just a bit! Now that the child is 17, hopefully he will see that it is his turn now to do a little spoiling of others. For those of you who have "only" children, you too understand just how difficult it is to teach these young ones the concept of "sharing" ... especially when they've never had to wrestle their favorite toy out of the hands of a sibling.

still, the days of toys are pretty much over. Now, it's a different sort of plaything... guitars and amps, skateboards and video cameras ... these are the items on the lists of only children who are 17. AND...Girlfriends.... did I mention that? ONLY Sons often disappear to assist the girlfriend's family with decorating and preparations. As mine did last night. Something about setting up the nativity scene at the church and Mexican food afterwards. Who knew it would come to this?

i asked number one son if he would like to go with me to Seattle to watch the Nutcracker or see the symphony to help capture that special Christmassy feeling. His reply? Mom, I'm just happy when the house is all decorated like you do every year, and everything smells so nice and Christmas music is playing. That's all I need to feel the spirit.

sigh.... perhaps he'll be okay after all.

2 comments:

LW said...

Enjoyed this post.
Our first daughter was 15 when we adopted and 17 when our son was born. So I know both sides of the coin, having an only child as well as having them two years apart..
My Husband and I have been doing this kids Christmas thing for 36 years .....
We laugh because my gift came yesterday and it was the first gift after many years but it was something I really needed. The gift part was because my husband stepped it up and got me one in color...I am delighted to say I now have a washer and dryer in RED.
Which will keep those kids looking good...

Louise

yours truly said...

How wonderful! I can't imagine having another one at this point! You are to be commended! I think the red Washer and Dryer is very cool! I often wonder will my only child ever really grow up and reciprocate with us or a family of his own! But... everyone says it eventually happens! Thanks for the reassurance!

Hope your enjoying the holidays!

Lora